Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Earning Loyalty Thru Customer Service

For the past several years, I've counted on my Lexmark laser printer for printing all of those things that I need to put on paper. Even though I had to beat that printer into submission every time I used it, it would come through in the end and I would get my document. Maybe a little covered with inkdust, but still - I did get my doc.

Well, after a year of having to bang the cartridge door open and shut multiple times before I could get a print job done, I finally broke down and got a new printer. This time I settled for an HP because there are so many choices and I was in a hurry.

I've had my printer three days. It was lovely the first and second days, and then sporadically decided to print gibberish when I would print some things off the internet. My Mapquest directions printed as an interesting combination of readable highway icons and crazy, unreadable symbols. I was frustrated. I was angry. I was ready to tell HP where to put their printer.

I called HP for help. And while I appreciate that lately it is difficult to understand the accents of some of the technology service people named Penny or Dan who are obviously speaking from India or Bangladesh, I did get through to someone to help me.

Now I don't know what program HP is using for their customer service training, but I can tell you it is working. OK, I know HP won't give me free ink, or even give me a little discount on their products, but I'm now a firm believer in using HP. Why? They seemed to really care that I got the help I needed when I asked for help. Their customer service is impeccable. Their supervisors get on the phone to make sure their employees helped.

While giving away gifts and products will always help make people loyal to a certain product or brand, good service will go that one even better. I'm convinced - and my printer works great!

No comments: